50 Fascinating Facts About Saint Lucia

Saint Lucia is an island in the Caribbean Sea, and although hundreds of people visit there for vacation every year, the typical person doesn't know much about it. It's easy to understand why St. Lucia is one of the Caribbean's most popular islands, with its endless white-sand beaches, Caribbean rhythm, and breathtaking wildlife. But how well do you know the tropical getaway? Here are some intriguing facts about St Lucia that we're sure you've never heard before.

Fascinating Facts

1
Saint Lucia is 238 square miles in size, 27 miles long, and 14 miles broad.
2
Castries is Saint Lucia's capital city.
3
Around 100,000 people reside on Saint Lucia's coastlines, with another 60,000 in Castries or elsewhere on the island.
4
Early Carib immigrants dubbed the island the Island of the Iguanas, and it was only later that the name was altered.
5
It is said to have been named before Saint Lucy of Syracuse. Nobody knows for sure, however most people assume it comes from the France Virgin Martyr Sainte Alouise. The island is also referred to as 'Helen of both the West Indies,' a term coined by a British historian who compared the island to Helen of Troy for her ability to organize an entire fleet.
6
After establishing a pact with the island's indigenous Carib people in 1660, the French established a settlement on the island, which was first known as Saint Lucy of Syracuse.
7
Around 85 percent of Saint Lucians are assumed to be direct descendants of Africans, with the remaining 15 percent made up mainly of English, French, mixed African, and Indian descent.
8
It is the first nation to be named after that woman.
9
Saint Lucia is the Windward Islands' second-largest island.
10
Between 1663 and 1667, England acquired possession of Saint Lucia, igniting a protracted era of instability during which the island changed hands 14 times.
11
England had complete control over Saint Lucia in 1814. Because of the number of times control had been turned over, it was also known as "Helen of the West Indies" at this point.
12
Saint Lucia is approximately three times the size of Washington, DC, with a land area of 238.23 square miles. At its broadest point, the island is 14 miles long and 27 miles long.
13
St. Lucia is the Windward Islands' second biggest island.
14
St. Lucia is a Caribbean Island that is part of the Lesser Antilles. It is bounded on one side either by the Northern Atlantic Ocean and on the other by the Caribbean Sea. St. Vincent, to the south, as well as Martinique, to the north, are the nearest islands to St. Lucia.
15
St. Lucia, which has more mountains than many of the other Caribbean islands, was produced by volcanic activity.
16
Saint Lucia was dubbed the "Helen of the West Indies" due to its frequent changeover between British and French sovereignty.
17
The British gained complete control of the island in 1814.
18
The French were the island's first European immigrants. They formed a pact only with indigenous Carib people in 1660.
19
France and England battled for St. Lucia from 1663 and 1814. The island changed ownership 14 times during that period, earning it the moniker "Helen of the West Indies."
20
When the French relinquished the island to the British during the Treaty of Paris in 1814, St. Lucia became a crown colony.
21
Slaves from West Africa were brought in by the British to work primarily on sugar cane plantations.
22
St. Lucia abolished slavery in 1834.
23
St. Lucia was a Leeward Islands Federation member from 1871 until 1956. Then, from 1958 to 1962, it was a member of the West Indian Federation.
24
The island was part of the West Indies Federation from 1958 to 1962. Saint Lucia would become an independent Commonwealth of Nations member state affiliated with the United Kingdom on February 22, 1979.
25
Saint Lucia's agriculture is well-developed, with sugar cane being grown for decades. Saint Lucia became renowned for banana cultivation in 1964, but less so for sugar cane.
26
However, 95 percent of Saint Lucians speak Saint Lucian French or Patois, which is the official language of the country. Furthermore, it is estimated that around 20% of the population does not speak English at all.
27
Every year in Saint Lucia, a "language festival" is held to honor this regional French language.
28
Mount Gimie, Saint Lucia's tallest peak, rises more than 3,000 feet above sea level. Saint Lucia has far more mountains than other Caribbean islands, and it was produced by volcanic activity.
29
The Pitons Mountain range is a landmark in Saint Lucia and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
30
Sir Dunstan St. Omer is a well-known artist in Saint Lucia. Many visitors to Saint Lucia may have noticed his visual artwork in churches and towns.
31
Saint Lucia receives around 350,000 visitors every year and has a thriving fishing sector that supports the people.
32
Sulphur Springs, the world's only "drive-in" volcano, is located in Saint Lucia.
33
Charles Jesse wrote the national hymn of Saint Lucia, "Sons and Daughters of Saint Lucia."
34
Derek Walcott was born in Castries and is a well-known Saint Lucian author who was awarded the 1992 Nobel Prize in Literature.
35
Arthur Lewis was also awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics. He was the very first black man to get a Nobel Prize for anything other than peace.
36
The population of Saint Lucia, except the Faroe Islands, has the most significant proportion of Nobel Prize winners of any country.
37
Tourists often attempt to visit Roseau Valley, which has 21 distinct varieties of rum.
38
Because Hewanorra Airport seems to be the only commercial airport in Saint Lucia, many visitors come by cruise ship from other places.
39
Many Saints Lucians do not marry until they are in their forties.
40
It is thought that 85 percent of St Lucians are direct ancestors of African slaves, with the remaining 15 percent of the population being of British, French, combined African, or Indian ancestry.
41
Approximately 90% of St. Lucians are Roman Catholic.
42
In St. Lucia, most individuals do not marry until they are in their forties.
43
When their parents migrate to work, St. Lucian youngsters are often fostered by relatives, particularly grandparents.
44
St. Lucian cuisine is influenced by many different cultures. Traditional French, British, East Indian, and West African flavors may be found in some cuisines.
45
Common ingredients in St. Lucian cooking include white potatoes, red onions, ginger, scotch bonnet chilies, coconut milk, thyme, and flour.
46
Every May, musicians from all over the world descend to St. Lucia for the annual St. Lucia Jazz Festival.
47
"Sons and Daughters of Saint Lucia" is the island's national song. Charles Jesse wrote it, and Leton Felix Thomas put it to music.
48
Many people would remember St. Lucian actor Joseph Marcell as Geoffrey, the butler in the comedy "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."
49
The paintings of renowned St. Lucian artist Sir Dunstan St. Omer may be seen in churches and towns around the island.
50
Sulphur Springs Park in St. Lucia is home to the "world's only drive-in volcano." This active volcano, which was formed 410,000 years ago, has boiling springs and warm Sulphur pools where tourists may swim.

Sources